About Provident Loan
The Provident Loan Society of New York has been in business for over 120 years and is the only not-for-profit pawnbroker in the United States. We make loans based on collateral to fulfill our mission of helping those in financial need. Anyone with gold coins, gold and diamond jewelry, a fine watch, or silverware is eligible to receive a cash loan. We want our customers to pay off their loans and get their valuable items back, so we keep our interest and fees lower than similar lenders. We’re looking for caring, dedicated, professional employees who share our desire to help others and support our communities.
The Provident Loan Society is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and our communities, and creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach his/her potential.
Position: Jewelry Appraiser / Junior Jewelry Appraiser (Designation depends on experience)
Monday – Friday, 8:45 am – 5:00 pm
The Appraiser evaluates collateral, determines its value, and makes loans to our customers. Appraisers assist Branch Managers and potentially manage the branch when needed. Appraisers make sure our customers’ collateral is safe and accounted for.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Evaluate collateral to determine loan value
- Make loans independently and in collaboration with other appraisers
- Go through Provident Loan cashier and vault training as well as additional appraisal training
- Keep up-to-date with Provident Loan appraisal schedule and appraisal techniques
- Make recommendations to the Director of Appraisal on appraisal practices
- Perform cashier and vault work as required
- Perform other duties assigned by the Branch Manager
- High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree is a plus.
- 2+ years of experience with fine jewelry in retail or wholesale, pawn, auction, or similar industry
- Any GIA certification a plus
- Experience with appraisal a plus
- Experience with watches a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism
- General math skills, including calculating percentages, angles, and ratios
- Detail orientated and able to function in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Basic computer skills and Windows knowledge
- Bilingual (especially in Spanish, Chinese, or Korean) a plus
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits Package including Medical and Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, and 401(k)
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Make a positive impact on the community every day
Email to email@example.com
- Your resume
- A short paragraph or cover letter outlining your interest in being a Jewelry Appraiser for Provident Loan
- If you’ve been referred by one of our employees, include “Referred by (Employee’s Name)” in the subject line.